Breast Cancer The leader of lethal diseases amongst women
All those people who are suffering from Breast Cancer have its impact on their life differently, everyone deals with the diagnosis differently but knowing what are the signs and at what point one must be aware of it is the most important thing. So in this article, you will come to know about all those details.
Breast cancer has the highest fatality rate in women after lung cancer. When it is diagnosed late then the mortality risk and the complications of cancer increases as it progresses to its final stage. Usually, doctors diagnose breast Cancer by checking for lumps in the breast or by mammogram x-rays, but sometimes it may be too late especially if the cancer is destructive (has spread to rest of the body or what we call malignant). Due to a busy lifestyle most women tend to ignore the initial signs of Breast cancer discarding them as minor pain and aches.
Early detection is the first step towards defeating any disease. To spread the awareness about this here is a list of early signs and symptoms of breast cancer:
5 Early signs of Breast Cancer
- Change in Shape and size of Breast: Generally, the presence of hard lumps in the Breast is considered to be the first identification sign of breast cancer but this may not always be the case. Sometimes the tissue growth is deeper in the breast or is masked by dense Breast tissue and instead of causing a noticeable lump changes the shape or size of the Breast. So, if you notice any kind of unusual difference in your breasts, then it is recommended consulting a doctor as soon as possible.
- Swelling in the armpit: A lump or swelling in the armpits could be a sign of breast cancer. Lymph nodes under the arms are the first place where the breast cancer spread. It is not necessary that the lump is sore. Most of the lump caused by cancer is hard, unmovable and painless.
- Itchiness or irritation in Breast: Irritation on the breast skin or appearance of a rash is a symptom of Inflammatory breast Cancer (IBC). In IBC the cancer cells infiltrate the skin and lymph vessels causing the build of fluid under the skin. Usually scratching and topical ointments don’t help with the persistent itching caused by IBC.
- Pain in the chest: A sharp stabbing pain in your breast or chest area is the first indication that tells that something is wrong. The growing tumor in the breast can cause unusual aches or pains in your breast as well as in your chest wall or rib cage. The pain, as described by breast cancer survivors, is like a sharp and fluctuating electric sensation.
- Unusual change in nipple and areola: Many breast cancers start from the milk ducts which are located just under and around the nipples. This may cause a change in texture and color of your nipples and areola. The enlargement of breast due to tumor also affects the appearance of nipples. If you observe any kind of abnormal discharge from nipples such as pain or lumps in the nipple area, make sure to bring it to your doctor’s attention.
Needless to say, that Breast cancer is a disease that no one should take this lightly. By ignoring these little discomforts, you may be risking your life. So, it is advised to have regular checkups and be more attentive of any kind of abnormal changes in your body.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information.